Hip Hop Hooray

The hip-hop scene is alive and well in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

G.O.O.D. music was in the building at the Garrick Centre last night as Big Sean stopped by to give us one heck of a rap show.

Big Sean's energy was contagious, which made for a hyped crowd and an awesome performance. As impressed as I was with the show Sean put on (considering  he's probably one of the least appealing members to me of the G.O.O.D. music ensemble), I was even more impressed with the crowd at the Garrick Centre.

The room was packed with true hip-hop fans, who were not only dancing and reciting the full lyrics of Big Sean's musical catalogue, but they were doing the very same to the playlist of rap classics the DJ was spinning an hour before the show.

As I watched what was going on around me, I was very encouraged with the state of hip-hop in Winnipeg. Lately, artists like Ludacris, Knaan, Big Sean, Wiz Khalifa, and the Weeknd have chosen to take their acts to Winnipeg, and it's great to see a big and excited crowd like last night's to show up and build the reputation of a respectable hip-hop community in our city.

With that being said, my realization of hip-hop's popularity in Winnipeg is especially encouraging to me as I'm here to announce my latest media venture: A hip-hop music show on Red River Radio!

The name and concrete concept are still up in the air, but basically every Sunday night from 7-9 starting September 30, I'll be spinning what I consider to be some good ol' quality hip-hop - streaming live on Red River Radio. So if you're interested in some great hip-hop and a little commentary from yours truly, you're going to want to make sure to tune in.

September 30, radio.rrc.ca, 7-9pm, mark it on your calendar. You've been warned.

How about one of the highlights of the Big Sean show to play you out. Boiiii.


This entry was posted on Thursday, September 20, 2012 and is filed under ,,. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

One Response to “Hip Hop Hooray”