Well this is stupid.
There are a lot of things to be excited about in sports right now. The NHL is back, the Jets are back, the Blue Bombers are making the playoffs, the NFL avoided a lockout, and the MLB playoffs are well underway, but the NBA has left a very bitter taste in the mouth of the millions of basketball fans around the world as it was announced tonight that the NBA has cancelled the first two weeks of the regular season. Ladies and gentleman, we have a lockout.
I could get into who I think is at fault, or debate the issues such as the 50-50 revenue split, the hard salary cap, non guaranteed contracts, or a potential amnesty clause (or as it's called by the people at Grantland, the Curry Cure), but I think I speak for most NBA fans when I say, WE DON'T CARE! We just want to watch basketball. That's it.
This whole lockout just seems childish. It's really just all about greed. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter whose fault it is. The fact of the matter is that there isn't any basketball, and that's an issue. Both sides keep telling the media how the other side is being unfair, and how they will "stand their ground" for what they think is "right". You really think that's standing up for what's right? You think it's "right" to rob fans of watching the game they love, just so you can get more money? You think it's "right" to treat NBA fans this way? The same NBA fans who are paying the high ticket prices, buying the jerseys, buying the merchandise with your names or your logo's on it, and dedicating our time watching the games, following the teams, and celebrating the game, not the league, but the game that we love?
Players and Owners, you're supposed to love the game as well. I found this picture online, and I thought it said a lot about what this is all about.
I don't know if you noticed, but that's not the players union president Derek Fisher looking up at the hoop in disappointment. It's not NBA Commissioner David Stern either. It's an NBA fan, and his son. All they can do is watch helplessly as a big part of the game they love is being taken away from them. Why? Because of childish greed.
The biggest shame about all of this is that we're coming off one of the best years of basketball that we've ever had. The talent level of the league is almost unparalleled, there are great young teams like the Grizzlies, and the Thunder, great old teams like the Celtics and the Lakers, super teams like the Heat, one of the most lovable NBA Champions in recent memory with the Mavericks, and honestly so much more. Last season gained countless new casual fans for the NBA, and more importantly, for basketball. And now what's going to happen to those fans? Well, NBA, you lost them. Hey players, owners, do you even remember how amazing the playoffs were last year? Or are you too blinded by money to think that far back.
So far, we've lost two weeks of games. But as of right now, the players and owners have no meetings scheduled for the future, so it doesn't seem like a stretch to say that it very well could be more. And it's all because of money.
I understand, the NBA is a business. I get that. But basketball is a game. So just shut up and play.
Locked Out
This entry was posted on Monday, October 10, 2011. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.
Amen. Pro athletes are getting sucked into the endless hole of money and publicity and they just want more of it. I'm getting sick of it too.
ReplyDeleteLeBron and co. are getting paid enough. Why do they need more? For a Golden House? Athletes easily forget they are people like you and me.
Go Mavs!