Optimism

This world we live in throws a lot of adversity our way. My life is no different. I feel adversity every day of my life. And that is because I'm a Leafs fan.

The Toronto Maple Leafs were eliminated from the playoffs this week, and I faced the all so familiar feeling of disappointment, while looking for another team to cheer for in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. But wait, this feeling is different. But what is it? No! Could it be? It is! Optimism!

Since February 1st, the Leafs hold a record of 18-8-5. Now lets think about that for a quick second here. I'm not going to tell you right now that they are ready to take on the world and win a Stanley Cup if they just would have put away a couple games in the first half. But I am going to say that this record is no illusion. It needs to be pointed out that the Leafs didn't just beat up on the Islanders 18 times since the All Star break. They beat potential Cup contenders like the Flyer's and Penguins, and they beat the powerhouse Boston Bruins three times during that stretch. Not only that, they pulled out multiple wins against teams they were competing for a playoff spot with, such as the Sabres and Canes.

I was listening to Puck Daddy Radio the other day, and they brought up an interesting point and said that people actually are having trouble hating this team lately. I think it's safe to say that the Leafs are probably the most hated team in the league, but there is a lot to like about the product they are putting out on a nightly basis these days. You can't watch these guys play and tell me that they aren't playing hard. They have the slogan "The Passion That Unites Us All", and honestly, they look united out there, and boy are they playing with a great deal of passion.

But like I said. I'm not going to book tickets to the 2012 Stanley Cup parade in Toronto just yet. They have obvious holes that become evident especially while looking at their special teams. Their powerplay percentage is 21st in the league, and they also sport the leagues 4th worst penalty kill. I don't care what your second half record is, you are not going to make it deep in the playoffs being 27th in the league in penalty killing. To give you some perspective, the three worst teams in penalty killing are the Avs, Oilers, and Thrashers, and the four best are the Pens, Kings, Canucks, and Capitals.

And I admit, I'm sure there were a lot of teams that took the Leafs lightly in the second half, and they might have used their surprise factor to pull out some games. But, I would bet that teams will no be taking the Leafs lightly come next season. Especially when they have the Reim Minister between the pipes.

The Leafs playoff hopes may be gone, but until the playoffs actually start, I'm sure this isn't going to be the last you hear from me about "The Passion That Unites Us All" this season.

J Traa

This entry was posted on Thursday, April 7, 2011. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply